Background & Experience
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- International Litigation and Arbitration
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Internal Investigations and Corporate Compliance
- Partner, Eduardo Palmer, P.A., January 2009 – Present.
- Partner, Rivero Palmer & Mestre LLP, January 2006 – December 2008.
- Partner, Eduardo Palmer, P.A., June 2004 – December 2005.
- Partner, Steel Hector & Davis LLP, September 1997 – June 2004.
- Assistant United States Attorney, Southern District of Florida, September 1989 – August 1997.
- Associate, Fine Jacobson Schwartz Nash Block & England, P.A., September 1987 – August 1989.
- Law Clerk, Judge Kenneth L. Ryskamp, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, April 1986 – August 1987.
- Extensive litigation and jury trial experience in federal and state civil and criminal cases involving complex commercial litigation, tax fraud, securities fraud, mail and wire fraud, forfeiture, and other matters.Argued
- various cases before Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals as well as Florida Appellate Courts.
- Chair, International Litigation and Arbitration Department, Steel Hector & Davis LLP; responsible for overseeing international litigation and arbitration matters handled by firm’s eleven offices throughout Florida, Latin America and Europe.
- Extensive international litigation and arbitration experience concerning international business disputes before various federal and state courts and international arbitration organizations involving proceedings in English and Spanish.
- International Affairs Coordinator for United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Florida; responsible for reviewing and coordinating completion of all international requests for judicial assistance, including extradition matters.
- Deputy Chief, Economic Crimes Division, United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Florida; responsible for supervision and direction of investigations and prosecutions of white collar offenses.
- Conducted various internal corporate investigations in the U.S. and in foreign countries for Fortune 100 companies.
- Represented clients in connection with Congressional investigations and hearings.
- United States Department of Justice Representative; U.S. – Russian talks in Russia on export controls for nuclear and biological weapons.
- Led successful effort on behalf of the International Law Section of the Florida Bar to enact the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration in Florida.
University of Florida College of Law,
J.D., with Honors, 1985.
University of Florida, B.S., 1982.
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Federal Bar, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida.
- Florida Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Business and Contract Cases, 2009-2015.
- Florida Bar
-Immediate Past Chair, International Law Section.
– Executive Council Member, International Law Section.
- American Bar Association
– International Law Section.
- Adjunct Coach, University of Florida College of Law Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Team.
- Miami International Arbitration Society, Board of Directors, 2008-2015.
- ICCA Miami 2014, Inc., Board of Directors, 2011-2015.
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America under the area of litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite under the area of international litigation.
- Listed as a Top Lawyer in the South Florida Legal Guide.
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers magazine.
- United States Department of Justice Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant United States Attorney.
- Florida International University College of Law; Adjunt Professor, International Commercial Arbitration.
- IE University, Madrid, Spain; Adjunct Professor, Civil Procedure.
RECENT SPEECHES AND CONFERENCES
- Miami’s Favorable International Arbitration Climate – ICCA Congress, Miami, Florida 2014.
- The History and Development of International Law in Florida, Including Passage of the UNCITRAL Model Law – Florida Bar, International Law Section Conference, Orlando, Florida, 2011.
- Appointment of Arbitrators – ICC Masterclass for Arbitrators, Paris, France, 2009.
- The Initial Hearing in International Arbitration – Florida Bar, International Litigation and Arbitration Conference, Miami, Florida, 2008.
- Court’s Evaluation of Evident Partiality – ICC: International Commercial Arbitration in Latin America; The ICC Perspective, Miami, Florida, 2007.
- The Search For and Use of Evidence in Arbitration: Forged Documents and Digital Evidence Recovery – ICDR Third Annual Miami International Arbitration Conference, Miami, Florida, 2005.
- Co-Chair: ICDR First and Second Annual Miami International Arbitration Conferences, Miami, Florida, 2003 & 2004.
- The Use of Multi-Tiered Dispute Resolution Clauses in Latin America: Questions of Enforceability, 14 Am. Rev. Int’l Arb. 285 (2003).
- Family, International Relations, Boating and Diving.
Do you need help with your case?
Contact us today for a free cost estimate!